Friday, August 18, 2017

Leadership Storytelling

Let the Story Do the Work: The Art of Storytelling for Business Success – Esther K. Choy (AMACOM)

As a leader, I can take what is a very cut and dried subject and give employees a pretty straightforward list of steps to follow, the dos and don’ts and I can check the box and say that I have provided them with training on the topic.
The question quickly becomes; how effective was that “training”? Did I do a good job of connecting that training to the subject that I was speaking about?
Esther K. Choy, president and executive coach with the Leadership Story Lab has authored a new book, Let the Story Do the Work: The Art of Storytelling for Business Success, in which she makes the case that truly effective leaders are those folks who are the most effective communicator among us, the Storyteller.


I know from firsthand experience that when I utilize story I can make a better connection for the subject I am speaking on. For years in my day job I have trained new employees in the basics of HIPAA and patient privacy. It is admittedly not an exciting topic, but it is certainly an important one for those who work in healthcare. I illustrate the need for patient privacy by telling a story that actually occurred prior to my getting into healthcare and it even predates the HIPAA law going into effect.
While I was in college, a LONG time ago, I was visiting a friend who had taken ill and was in the hospital for testing, and I tell the new employees about the blur of a white lab coat and bad checked pants, after all it was the early eighties, and how the doctor proceeded to tell my friend that the test had come back and it wasn’t good news and the diagnosis was cancer. The doctor never bothered to check to see who I was, if the friend wanted me present for this announcement or anything. I impart this story to give them a very real world example of why patient privacy matters.
Without exception, every time I tell the story, eyes widen, lights go on as they take in the connection to the purpose of learning about patient privacy and the story hits home for them; I have succeeded in communicating the importance of the topic.
Choy makes the case that this is how best to engage your audience, inspire them to take action, bring clarity to new concepts and be a more effective leader. This is great stuff and a skillset that Choy gives you the tools to develop and make you more effective out of the gate.

No comments:

Post a Comment