Thursday, February 9, 2017

A Nice Addition to the Go To Library

If Not You, Who? –Cracking the Code of Employee Disengagement – Jill Christensen (Knightsbridge Press)

I have taken on the habit of keeping a strip of Post-It flags while I am reading new business books. Maybe it’s a case of OCD, but I have never really felt that highlighting was a very useful why of truly marking things that I wanted to remember and use in my business. These handy little flags are easy to place the exact line on a specific page that I want to circle back to.

As I review books, I can get a pretty good sense of how good a book is based on the number of flags that dot the outside edge of the book. While I have utilized many of the tactics that Jill Christensen, an employee engagement expert outlines in her new book, If Not You, Who, this concise collection is a great reminder and a useful tool to have within reach on the go to books shelf. One look at the pile of red flags will easily illustrate why what this book teaches, makes so much sense.



If you are struggling with keeping your staff engaged, recruitment and retention of good employees and rewarding and recognizing those folks who make your shop hum, then this book demands your attention. Christensen lays out the statistics, but the fact of the matter is it, is common sense that an engaged workforce can make a huge difference to your bottom line.

Like I said, I have used a lot of this stuff before; while it’s not necessarily groundbreaking, what Christensen succeeds at doing is synthesizing the engagement process under the cover of one easy to read, easy to implement cover. She even spells out action steps at the end of each chapter that boils this stuff down to an easy 1, 2, 3. I found myself implementing the stuff I could do myself right away and then put the team stuff on the agenda to roll out to the larger group.


While Christensen will tell you how to take this on in bit size chunks, she also explain that there is some heavy lifting involved and while the process works, it does take some time. What better reason to get started today do you need?

No comments:

Post a Comment