Saturday, February 8, 2014

The Lost Art of Communication

  
Say This, Not That: A Foolproof Guide to Effective Interpersonal Communication – Carl Alasko, PH.D. (Tarcher Books)

I have been a professional communicator for over 30 years. It’s who I am and what I do.

Interpersonal communication is certainly nothing new, groundbreaking or Earth shattering. As I read through Say This, Not That: A Foolproof Guide to Effective Interpersonal Communication, by Carl Alasko author of Emotional Bullshit, I was struck at how much of the advice that he was passing along seemed to me to be nothing more than common sense.


The more I read the more I was struck by the fact that Alasko could potentially be sitting on a gold mine in the form of doling out what once were basic communication skills to generation of people who had become so enamored with electronic communication forms that they simply were not equipped to participate in the most basic of human relationships, the conversation!

In the book Alasko focuses on dating, relationships, parenting and then later the workplace, by offering up a series of common interactions that we all get involved with on a regular basis; then offers suggestions on how to handle and respond to those scenarios.

While at times Alasko slips into touchy, feely, pop psychology and doles out advice that would make Alan Alda seem like a firm hand; overall he offers up viable solutions for dealing with life and work situations. While this may seem like new ground to some, my best advice would be to put down the damn smartphone and talk!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment