Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Get Out…What You Put In


The Go-Giver Influencer – Bob Burg and John David Mann – (Portfolio)

A couple of definitions to start out:

Thoughtful – Showing careful consideration or attention. Or, maybe more importantly- giving consideration for the needs of other people.

Influence – The capacity to have an effect on the character, development or behavior of someone or something.

I have been blessed to be in a position to influence. I have always tried to guide my family members, co-workers and the folks around me with the simple phrase, “you get out what you put in.” I am often asked about why I spend so much time and energy, two commodities in short supply, working with community boards, organizations, students and more. The simple answer is that I get out more or get back more, than I put in. The payback I receive in both satisfaction and treasure, is substantially more than I put in.


To me that is the message the bestselling duo behind the Go-Giver series of books, Bob Burg and John David Mann spell out so well in their latest entry, The Go-Giver Influencer. The pair distill the insight down to the Five Secrets of Genuine Influence that they spell out in the story.

Five Secrets of Genuine Influence

    1. Master your emotions
    2. Step into the other persons shoes 
    3. Set the frame
    4. Communicate with tact and empathy
    5. Let go of always having t be right

Like so much of what goes into truly effective leadership these five secrets boil down to what amounts to, at varying levels, communications skills; not just leadership communication because they don’t draw the line to separate leadership and personal communication. The great secret here is that you can put to use these “secrets” in any relationship you may have, be it in the workplace, your family, as a volunteer or member of a community.

While I admit to never being a big fan of the parable form of leadership learning; I tend to lean towards actionable steps that I can put to work today, The Go-Giver Influencer is a truly learning experience that will guide to a more fulfilling work place, family life and community.

No comments:

Post a Comment