Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Make No Mistake

The Book of Mistakes: 9 Secrets to Creating a Successful Future – Skip Pritchard – (Center Street)

There is an old saying that has a load of variations that goes something to the effect of “learn from your mistakes.” Then there is the extension of the phase that  goes “If you don’t learn from your mistakes you are doomed to repeat them.”

They both became clichés, because like most clichés they are rooted in the truth. Lately I have noticed that there is a growing business buzz about mistakes, failure and even failing at a high velocity. There is even a book granting the permission to go out and screw things up. It’s almost to the point where I feel the need to go and mess up so I could check the box; as if it’s a resume enhancement.



While I certainly don’t think that making mistakes is a deal breaker or can somehow be avoided, but I think there are steps that we can all take as leaders to not only minimize mistakes but to help our teams avoid the pitfalls that we have all encountered along the way. While I have never been a huge fan of the business parable style, I find the new book by Skip Pritchard, The Book of Mistakes: 9 Secrets to Creating a Successful Future, is loaded with great advice/tips to help you not only steer clear of mistakes, but how to effectively and proactively take what you have learned and put it into action.

I found myself reading and highlighting sections of the book to share with my daughter. I think this book can provide great lessons for someone just like her; someone who is searching for direction, is uncertain of the right answers and for whom college may not be the best path. I have encouraged her to be courageous and pursue her dreams and have offered guidance towards that path. Pritchard end each section/mistake with a short recap and a track to run on for each one. His advice on Mistake #1 Working on Someone Else’s Dream really hit the mark when I shared it with my daughter.


I hope Mr. Pritchard won’t be offended that I have copied those 9 pages and created a simple poster to remind her and course correct her along the way. I think no matter where you are on your career path The Book of Mistakes, offers great insight or great reminders that we can all put into action for our future success.

No comments:

Post a Comment